1886 George W. Quigley, son of Rev. George T. Quigley, a member of the Philadelphia Conference, moved to Willow Grove. At that time, there was no church congregation of any kind in the community. A Sabbath School was held at intervals, except in the winter. With the help of others, Brother Quigley soon accomplished the holding of regular meetings.
1887 Feeling the need for religious worship, a few residents decided to revive interest in weekly prayer meetings that had been in operation some years before. David Cherry and George Quigley announced and conducted the first meeting. These meetings prospered and were well attended. Being of Methodist preference, they petitioned the presiding Elder, Rev. J.T. Meredith, to place the class under the Hatboro Quarterly Conference and the pastorate of Rev. Ravel Smith. The church leadership was placed in the hands of George W. Quigley.
1888 The Local Preachers Association of Philadelphia, through its president, Rev. George F. Horn, was requested to aid the movement, They sent out three of their most valued and able ministers. On May 20, the first service was held in the old creamery on DavisviIle Road. The regular Sabbath School started on the first Sabbath of November; it was a morning session, later changed to an afternoon session on the first Sabbath of January 1889.
1889 In March, the Conference sent Rev. W. C. Graff, our first pastor. It was evident to all that the Creamery Hall was not suitable for the society's worship. It was decided to purchase ground and build a church. Subscriptions were taken and members worked zealously. In a year's time, two lots were purchased for $600 from David Cherry.
1891 On Wednesday, September 9, at 1 P.M., a service was held. Ground was broken for the church. By evening, members and friends with shovels and picks, dug more than half of the cellar. The cornerstone was laid on October 3rd.
1892 On Sunday afternoon, March 6, the church was dedicated by Bishop Toss.
1894 The church was set on fire by arsonists and badly damaged.
1895 The church was again set on fire three times and finally destroyed.
1897 Upon rebuilding, the church was enlarged to take care of the increased needs. By that time the membership was about 80 persons.
1903 The Sunday School building was enlarged by a new addition at a cost of $2,000. Under the leadership of Brother George W. Quigley, it continued to grow.
1908 The original parsonage was built in at a cost of $3,000.
1918 Brother George W. Quigley, who had served as Sunday School Superintendent from its founding in 1898, passed away in November.
1928 A new Sunday School unit was completed which almost doubled the size of the building. The cost was $18,500.
1931 The Depression of 1929 hit the community hard by the closing of the bank and impacted almost everyone. Church debts mounted.
1938 The church indebtedness was refinanced .
Post-WW2 The community and the church expanded rapidly. The debt was finally paid off, leaving the church free of debt.
1950 145 new members were taken into the church, bringing the total membership to 645.
1953 Plans to enlarge the church were considered. The congregation raised $20,000 and the Conference Board of Missions contributed $8,000. This was used to purchase the adjacent Scheisser property.
1955-1958 Our every member canvass yielded $103,396 for the building fund. In addition, Mr. George Rook gave the church $30,000 in September 1957 so the building could be started. Ground was broken in May 4, 1958 and the cornerstone laying ceremonies were held Sunday, October 12, 1958 following the 11:00 A.M. service. The cost of the addition was $243.000, without furnishings. The completion of this building gave us a beautiful Sanctuary, Fellowship Hall and several classrooms. But it became apparent that more classrooms were needed with the continuing deterioration of the old church building. Several of the classrooms had to be abandoned as unsafe to use. Inadequate parking facilities became a serious problem. Our Church and Sunday School continued to grow.
1959 Youth Group outside of the new addition that would become our sanctuary and schoolrooms
1963 The Trustees purchased the Cherry Inn property from Frank Wenzel for $75,000. After remodeling, the building was used for some Sunday School classes and named Aldersgate House. Part of the grounds were black-topped for parking.
1968 With further deterioration of the old church building, the old parsonage and Aldersgate House, the cost of maintenance was becoming excessive. It became apparent that new educational facilities were necessary. A survey revealed that remodeling of the old church and Aldersgate would be impractical, so an all member canvass was made. A total of $128,000 was pledged for a new education building and parsonage. A new parsonage was purchased in 1968 in the Country Wood Estates at 2645 Pleasant Hill Road at the cost of $28,400.
1970 Work was stated on the new education building in April.
1971 The new education building was dedicated on September 26th. The Aldersgate Building was being used by the Upper Moreland Community Council Drug Abuse Committee.
1973 A carillon was installed to play twice daily. The old church bell was placed on the front lawn, the site of the original church.
1976 The country celebrated the Bicentennial and the church joined in the festivities. Our children presented a "Tom Thumb Bicentennial Wedding" to help the building fund. July 4th, our nation's birthday, was celebrated with a special service and program, "In God We Trust." Members of the congregation rang the old bell, with others around the country, at 2:00 P.M.
1977 A congregational meeting was held in June to seek approval for the replacement of the Aldersgate Building.
1978 The "old" Aldersgate building was demolished on April 14th and a new building erected by the Aldersgate Youth Service Agency, which rents the ground space from the church.
1984 The Bicentennial of American Methodism was celebrated. Bicentennial moments were given in the worship service throughout the year. A special Mother's Day program was held with the ladies portraying famous women of the Methodist Church. The Bicentennial closed with a presentation of a Wesley family Christmas Eve service.
1995 The restoration and display in the Narthex of the stained glass windows from the original church was made possible.
1997 WGUMC joins the Worldwide Web at http://www.gbgm-umc.org/wgumc